Leader: Anthony Saxon
Deputy Leader: Bob Leatherdale.
Meeting Dates: Every 2nd Tuesday, 14:00 – 16:00
If you would like to be an active participant in the Gardening group, please contact the leader via the button above.
PLEASE MENTION THE GROUP!
Are you interested in gardening but don’t have a garden?
Would you like to bring colour to your patio or terrace?
GROUP OUTLINE: ‘Gardening gone to pot’/container gardening in a Mediterranean climate.
The new gardening group will now meet every 2nd Tuesday of the month from 2-4pm, alternating between a meeting and a trip out (to either gardens of interest or garden centres). This is a relaxed group with a focus this year on container gardening in our lovely Mediterranean climate. Our members have a variety of different gardens and we share information, suggestions and tips for how to get the most out of planting in pots or other containers whilst also discussing general gardening isssues.
Here’s what I thought could be the content for this new group and our primary focus:
- Cacti – this could be a separate session but equally suitable for pots and great for structure
- Practical examples/trips to Garden Centres – gardening should always be fun, especially here in Spain with so much choice. So I’d envisage a couple of ‘away-day’ meetings to local garden centres (some are obvious like Montgo Verde in Javea, the ‘gold standard’ of garden centres in my opinion and just like a colourful sweet shop for keen gardeners. Plus others less obvious that have been recommended to me in Muro de Alcoy)
- Note: there’s also a great place to buy pots of all shapes and sizes on the N332 to Javea, so we might need a trip there if anyone’s looking to set up some pots on their patio, balcony or terrace. He does deals and we could possibly buy as a group.
- Trips to gardens – there are a couple of local gardens that have been recommended to me so I think this is worth exploring too so that we could see how pots interact with each other as part of Spanish gardens. We also have I believe a number of U3A members, some wishing to join this group, others simply generous, who would be happy to host meetings at their gardens (so that we can all have a nose around and see what can be done with pots )
- Pots –what kind, different varieties (terracotta, ceramic etc.), other types of containers available (baskets, window boxes, urns). How to find the right pot for your space, positioning, aspect, grouping, size, how to arrange, essential tools required
- Planting – which plants do well in pots/why, plants for sun, semi-shade, full shade, soil, drainage, irrigation, watering, feeding
- Creating your perfect pot – knowing what will grow well in your area, colour schemes, scented plants, textures, flowering or green only, seasonal
- Care: re-potting, providing structural support, pests and diseases here in Spain, pruning and deadheading, propagation, what else to look out for so that your pots last (and you don’t have to keep buying new plants for them!)
- Succulents – covers a wide variety of wondrous plants that normally live on window-sills back home! Perfect for pots. Note: I’d hope to get a friend of mine from Ador to come as a guest speaker on this particular topic. She & her husband have created a superb Japanese garden on top of a mountain and there’s nothing she doesn’t know about succulents!